Monday 30 November 2015

Channel 4 First Dates Experience

I had no idea what to expect when my friend from work, Phil, text me:


So whilst feeling Christmas-sy and drinking wine after work, I decided after a lack of luck with boys recently..I would go on a date live on TV. I clearly had a mental moment.

The process of signing up was quite extensive actually. We had to have two references to confirm we were who we said we were (basically to check we weren't complete psychos), criminal background checks and a preliminary phone call. On the phone call a lovely woman asked us our preferences in Men, which is an impossibly hard thing to answer. I only really specified that I'd like someone similar in age, so I had to mentally prepare for a right weirdo.

On January 12th 2015, I made my way to St Paul's for my blind date in the evening. Thankfully I had my friend Phil by my side, and we went for a glass of Vino before for Dutch courage. Although, we needn't have bothered, seeing as when we arrived at the holding room at a youth hostel nearby, we were plied with wine (which is why everyone always looks pissed on TV). We were put in a room with all the girl extras, so I can only assume there was another room full of boy extras. Then one by one we were called down to wait outside the restaurant for our big entrance. I was so nervous at this point, I didn't even think to look what the restaurant was called, so don't ask haha.

I was made to walk in before my date and was shown to my table by the lovely Fred, the head waiter. I was sat in the main section but at the side, so I had a good view of the main dates going on around me. You could tell they were on a main date, due to them wearing a little microphone, all the mini cameras in the restaurant pointing to them and the excessive amount they were drinking.

My date walked in....uh oh. Not my type, not my type, not my type. So at least in that moment I knew straight away that boys with long-ish hair and hippy style clothing, were not for me. But I was willing to give his personality a chance. Although, it turns out he wasn't for me due to this aspect too. He was very eager to talk about himself, his love of making music, love of animals and many more things I wasn't interested in. His lack of aspiration was the biggest turn off, he wasn't at all concerned that at the age of 23 he wasn't earning any money yet. Also, he loved cats...no, just no.

However, the premise of the show means they expect you to stay there for hours so that the restaurant never looks empty. So I did everything I could to entertain myself in this time. Which meant commenting on every date going on around me, watching my friend to see if she had any chemistry with her man and taking regular trips to the toilet. The toilet had cameras in the sink area, and I managed to speak to a girl who was on a main date, whilst I was in there. She was telling me how awful he was and she was playing drinking games just to get through the date. However, when I watched the date on TV in February, they ended up becoming a couple after the show..how strange. 

The massive bonuses to this date was that Channel 4 paid for it, it was absolutely scrumptious food and they paid for our taxi home.

Safe to say at the end of the night, my date and I didn't exchange numbers, details or even full names. 

However, the whole First Dates experience was fun, and definitely opened by eyes to world of blind dating.

Here's me right in the back (behind my friend Phil on her date)-







1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this post! you are so brave for going on a blind date let alone being filmed haha!

    ReplyDelete